Contact Me

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Writers.

Talent


Amazing!
Yesterday I spent my day with about 65 talented people.
Collectively they have written thousands of books, stories, blogs, and thoughts read by millions of people.
JANO2013 is a project geared at motivating writers to put 50,000 words on paper before February 1.
When I think about it, it seems overwhelming, yet there are many people across this area who are dedicated to get the job done.
I, personally, started a new Romance novel with the hopes of attaining the goal.
ORA, Ozark Romance Writers, and Sleuth's Ink Mystery Writers co hosted the event.  They brought together aspiring and veteran writers from across the area.  I met several authors  from the greater Kansas City area, Thornhill, Joplin, and Plato, Niangua, Marshfield, Ozark, and Nixa and beyond.

I learned so much.  I listened to other writers read their offerings out loud and open themselves up to the critique of their peers. I took a deep breath and read my offering.  The feedback from everyone was invaluable.  It was my first time to attend a Mega Critique.  I am hooked.

Every genre was represented  from Romance, Paranormal, Alternative Lifestyle, Christian
Inspirational, YA, Middle grade and children as well as non fiction and Historical fiction and erotica.
I wonder if the public realizes how much talent they have under their noses.

Writing is an unusual profession.  I don't get up, get dressed, and head out on the road to my office.
Sometimes I spend the entire day writing to realize my characters have taken over my life .  I look up to realize it is three p.m.  I am still in my PJ's , have had only coffee and no shower.

Events like the one yesterday remind me I am a member of an elite group of people driven by the voices  we have conjured up in our minds.  We hear voices, create alternate egos, plot crimes, kill people, and put unlikely folks together for unforgettable adventures and love stories that make your heart flutter.

Thanks to all of you.
Again I am inspired to be able to count myself - one of  the group.





1 comment:

  1. "...an elite group of people driven by voices...." I'm happy to be included in that apt description!
    Cheers, Susan. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete